Thursday, November 15, 2018

I Did It! Credit By Exam

B"H







Inspired by CLEP enthusiasts on YouTube I took the plunge! I studied for a short time using an awesome program called Study.com for the CLEP exam Principles in Marketing and I passed!

If you are looking for inspiration you will find it here: 

The One-Year Diploma: Start Your Career without Student Loan Debt 



I loved this book! It is helpful and inspiring for catching the vision of this method of learning.

The following was MY experience with credit by exam:

Let's Jump In!

I personally chose to enroll in Excelsior College, a regionally accredited college that is known for having one of the most generous transfer policies around!  I transferred in my college credit from previous colleges I attended in my younger years.  

With a major chosen, I chose a CLEP test, credit by exam, that would fit into my degree requirements.  I chose Principles of Marketing because the subject seemed very interesting to me!

I began the premium plan at Study.com, currently $59.99 a month, which allowed me to watch engaging animated videos from wonderful professors on the subject that specifically prepared me for my CLEP exam.  I chose not to take all the quizzes, after watching the many 5-minute video lessons in full, I took the practice test for the course.  Make sure you search their site for specifically for the CLEP study course of your choice.  You may choose to study multiple courses at once, or you can study one at a time.  I chose one at a time so I could really absorb the information well and learn quickly!

I kept taking the practice exam during my free time until I scored high enough to feel prepared to schedule my CLEP exam.  CLEP exams are given almost every day at local colleges country-wide! You can register for your test here: https://clep.collegeboard.org/exams My test was $87, plus a $30 testing fee I paid to Florida State College, where I scheduled my test.  On the College Board website they will suggest a testing center near your home! Go to the suggested college's website and put "schedule CLEP exam" in their search box.  I was able to schedule my test online through the college website.  On the day of the exam, I arrived at their testing center and took the 90-minute proctored exam.  My husband spent quality time with our kids while I took the exam.  Being away from home for a couple hours is much preferable to this momma, than being away for a semester:)

CLEP tests show that you are proficient in a subject.  They are pass/fail and do not affect your GPA! However, they do award 3 credits, sometimes, more, for college! I saved so much money AND time! I was able to study at home.  The whole process from start to finish was done in just a couple weeks!  

The test was harder than I thought it would be, so I purchased a CLEP practice test guide from Amazon for next time! I will practice the CLEP test at home, as well as my study.com test BEFORE I schedule my next exam.  However, I was successful in passing the test and earning the college credit!

Certain colleges and universities are very CLEP friendly, although almost all colleges accept some amount of CLEP tests, saving you money and time on completing your degree!

Colleges that are especially CLEP friendly are:

Excelsior College, for example, allows a determined and diligent student to transfer in almost ALL of their credits by credit by exam.  All of the above are accredited colleges and universities!

If you are someone who wants to earn your degree in a traditional way, this approach is not for you.
I am writing this for people who might enjoy learning of my journey and want to think outside of the box in terms of their education.

Charter Oak State College allows students as young as 16 to enroll!  You can begin BEFORE your student earns their high school diploma. By continuing to learn at home for high school credits, and simultaneously earning college credits, your student will be doing what is commonly called "dual enrollment."  As soon as your student has nine credits, which can be earned by credit by exam, they can enroll in their accredited college and earn their degree early! Many are calling this "homeschooling college!"

Your student will just need a government-issued ID to take their proctored test, I believe.  
Did you know students as young as 13 can take a CLEP exam? You do NOT have to be a student at the school where you take the proctored exam.  You don't have to enroll in any college right away either! You can simply study, take exams, and accumulate credits to be transferred in later to your school of choice!

It was a thrilling moment to get my unofficial score right away after my Marketing Exam! To see a passing mark was so exciting!

I have always learned in a nontraditional fashion.  This method is perfect for me!

Being able to learn at home provides a lovely place to learn and grow without compromise!
This is an added bonus for sure!

I have recently learned of a program called "Modern States."  This program has world class professors for CLEP related courses, all from top universities.  If you take their free courses, they provide you with a voucher to take your CLEP test for FREE! This allows a student to PAY NOTHING for the entire FRESHMAN year of college!  
NOTE: Always check the CLEP policy at your college of choice to see which exams your college accepts.  The college I chose, Excelsior College, accepts CLEPS very generously!

I hope you enjoyed learning about the first step in my journey! I hope to post my next adventure soon!

Preview a Study.com Marketing Course:)



Happy Learning!
Esther

Other great resources:

https://dualcreditathome.com

Please note: I am not affiliated with any of the above programs.  Please see each program,  site and website for restrictions and details:)





No comments:

Post a Comment